Osteopathy for Work
The health and safety executive estimate that in 2013/14 there were 526,000 cases of work related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) - about 42% of all work related illnesses
MSDs are the second biggest cause of absence from work, affecting over 1m people at a cost to the economy (estimated in 2007) of £7bn.
They include problems such as low back pain, joint injuries and repetitive strain injuries. Which are often due to:
- Heavy lifting and repetitive movements
- Bending and twisting with or without lifting
- Uncomfortable working positions
- Working too long without breaks
- Adverse working environment (e.g. hot, cold)
- Psychosocial factors (e.g. high job demands, time pressures and lack of control)
If you are self-employed, taking time off work with musculoskeletal problem can have a devastating effect on you and your family's financial security, so getting back to work as quickly as possible is essential. That can seem impossible when you're in pain and unable to complete your usual daily activities, but movement really helps.
The Work Foundation recommend that you work with your employers and healthcare professionals if effected by MSDs to find ways of returning to work as soon as possible using a combination of treatment, lifestyle changes and adjustment to working conditions. They also suggest that early intervention is key to recovery, hastening your return to a normal, healthy lifestyle and limiting the negative psychological effects of an extended period of sick leave.
How Paul can help;
Fast access - Paul will usually be able to see you within a couple of days of seeking an appointment. As osteopaths are primary healthcare professionals you don't need to be referred by a GP unless you are seeking NHS funded treatment or your health insurance provider insists that you see a GP first.
- Treatment and advice - after the initial assessment treatment will usually begin straight away. Paul can also provide advice on how to avoid making the condition worse or re-injuring yourself.
- Inexpensive treatment - Many MSDs can be treated by osteopaths over a few visits. Treatment costs just £37.00 per session, which compared to loss of earnings or productivity is a worthwhile investment to help you return to work promptly.
- Fit notes - A fit note provides your employer with advice on what they can do to help an employee return safely to work. This may include adjustments to working conditions, such as reduced hours, a different work station set up, or recommending avoiding activities that may prevent or slow recovery, heavy lifting for example. Osteopaths are able to issue fit notes which will give employers this expert advice.
- Onward referral - With your permission, we are able to share information about your health with other healthcare professionals, such as your GP. If your condition requires the intervention of another expert, we can provide a letter of referral detailing the diagnosis and any treatment that we have been able to provide, which may help you more rapidly get the help you need to return to health.